Friday, January 8, 2010

The Need

Every time I am in a position like I am now it never ceases to amaze me how many others are out there in the same position and often worse. I have had probably the hardest 9 days of my life this last week, but still feel blessed to be in the condition that I am. My heart is strong, kidney function good, no infections, etc. There are some on this floor (oncology floor) that have no immunity and are in isolation. I am sure their stories are full of great struggle. How many more are out there that are suffering from other things less tangible? Things like fear, financial problems, broken relationships, pain that others have inflicted throughout the years, obscure and unhealthy body image, anger (I battle that myself), addiction, a since of loss, hopelessness......the needs are unending. The difficult thing is that these needs often do not exist independently of each other. They intersect in a complex and at times crippling way. It is easy to feel as if there is no way out. The most significant thing i have learned over the last 5 months is the great need of our humanity. I new of it in a general way before. But coming face to face with many who are fighting for their very lives is eye opening. Everyone I have met have families.....jobs.....hopes....and dreams. The need is great, and I sense that the scriptures are correct in saying that "the fields are ripe for harvest". (John 4:36). Humanity is aching for hope and compassion and love. It does not take some formulated highly marketed program to deliver this hope. It is delivered through our own hands and feet. We are to bring this hope to the world, through opening our hearts and giving of ourselves. Hundreds have provided this to my family and I over the months. It is a healing balm and the answer to the hopelessness in our world. The love of Christ lived out through our touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment