Saturday, September 19, 2009

A Familiar Path

(Click on the image to view a larger version)

Above is a profile map of the Colorado Trail. It is just short of 500 miles in length. I spent a summer (approximately 60 days) hiking the trail. At least 1/2 of the trip I hiked solo. Alone. It included 14 mountain ranges with an average elevation of 10.000 feet. The lessons I learned on the trail parallel the lessons I am learning on this journey of cancer. There are lots of ups and downs. Days when you feel like you can't go any further. There are also days when suddenly the larger view comes into focus and it absolutely takes your breath away. Small things in life take on a greater significance. A phone call from a friend, a familiar face, the pleasure of a soft bed and a roof over your head. Securities we often take for granted. Hiking the trail as well as cancer has an incredible way of refining your focus. Life quickly becomes more real, important, and precious. All the other things easily fall away. On the trail you have lots of time to think. Your mind wonders and explores the recesses of yourself that our busy life does not permit us to venture into. Cancer is very similar. It exposes parts of yourself in ways never before felt. The only way to walk 500 miles through rugged mountains is to put one foot in front of the other. As you walk day in and day out you find yourself basking in the wonder of creation. No matter what difficulties came my way on the trail, whether they be rain, snow, heat, lack of water, wild animals, blisters, fatigue, or fear, the way to the end of the journey was simple. A single step repeated hundreds and thousands of times would eventually arrive at the end. It did not take superhuman strength or a talent that most do not have. It took a steadfast commitment. Step by step as the miles added up and the challenges slipped by. Today just like those days on the trail, is another step. Tomorrow yet another. I walk this journey in anticipation of the end, but I also know that there is much to learn in the process. It is the process, no matter what the hardship where great beauty and adventure can be found.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Doug. A great story which has helped me along my own path.

    I hope you are going well. I have appreciated everything you have written here and I am thankful I have found your thoughts and words.

    Geoff - eljeiffel

    ReplyDelete